News

Mess Wright

After the great experiences we had with Winter code and creation programs, we're offering some weekend crash courses to Dallas children between New Year's and Summer.

These Crash Courses are great if you can't make our week-long camps, or if your child needs some exposure to coding, but you aren't certain where to start. Click on the camp title for more details or to sign up today.

Scratch Challenge

Saturday, January 21 & Sunday, January 22

10:00am - 3:00pm   $150.00

This weekend Crash Course is perfect for both for beginners who want to learn to create in Scratch programming language and more experienced users who want to make more complicated games or tell stories with Scratch. Students will be assessed on their current knowledge in their first hour, then issued new challenges every hour to build up their Studio of creations.

Beginning Minecraft

Saturday, February 25 & Sunday, February 26

10:00am - 3:00pm   $150.00

This weekend Crash Course is perfect for beginners who want to learn to create in Minecraft but who haven't had the time or guidance to do so. Students will be assessed on their current knowledge in their first hour, then issued new challenges every hour to build up their worlds and their skills. (This course requires an active Mojang/Minecraft account, or you can pay $30, and we will set one up for your child)

Animation Lab

Saturday, April 22 & Sunday, April 23

10:00am - 3:00pm $180.00

This weekend Crash Course is perfect for beginners who want to learn to create short animation and gifs on their own mobile devices or tablets. Students will be offered three different toy sets, then taught to use the toys' corresponding apps. They'll also be exposed to other apps where they can create animated shorts to build up their Studio of creations.

Other Details:

These crash courses are best for children aged six to twelve

Pizza or sandwiches and chips are provided, as well as snacks and water (or you may opt to send a bag lunch)

Computers are furnished, but students may opt to bring their own devices

Parents may drop children without parking, as we offer curbside service

Some courses include a take-home item like books, action figures, or project card sets

The Grove, Dallas Coworking

501 Elm Street, #450

Dallas, Tx 75202

For more information about Renegades of Code, visit our website: RenegadesOfCode.org

Mess Wright

Next Tuesday, 12/27 and Wednesday, 12/28,  we'll hold two more Winter Break Camp Days in Downtown Dallas, with our next Camp not occurring until Spring Break.

These Attend-by-the-Day Camps will fit any holiday schedule! (9:00am - 2:00pm)

Each day will feature multiple "maker" project options* in either robotics, art, electronics, or coding - and in some cases, activities will merge many of those tracks. 

Please note that we are currently located in the West End area of Downtown Dallas (you will not have to park, as we offer curbside pick-up/drop-off every day). Snacks and water provided; campers should bring a bag lunch. Camp is best for girls and boys who are six through twelve years old.

*Depending on who signs up for these, I may be able to offer maker activities AND the option of a coding "crash course" for each day. Please send a message if you think your child would prefer to learn a new coding app.

Tickets are only $75. You can sign-up here on our Eventbrite page.

Mess Wright

As I build out the Spring and Summer programs calendar, I'm missing the old days...the old days were full of slime, so...let's bring that back. It's easy. You sign up, I'll show up - deal?

THE LAB'S SLIME BOOTHS

Beginning in March, I'll once again offer free Slime Booths to Dallas schools. To get on the schedule, simply email me with dates, times and any other pertinent info about your school or church Spring Carnival. We provide all supplies and labor, of course.

NOW: FAMILY CODE NIGHTS

To promote my new Code Camp offering through the Renegades of Code brand, I will also be offering "Family Code Nights." These events are great for a PTA or Scout Meeting theme or they can be a deliberate event centered around having children and their caregivers experience their first hour of code together. Please email me if you have any questions or to book your hosted hour of code for families.

2016 WINTER CODE CAMP SPOTS STILL FOR SALE

The instances noted above bring me to you. While I'm still figuring out the details of our next home, you can come to me this Winter at The Grove, Dallas coworking space. The week-long camps are now sold-out, but we are running some Maker Day programs for only $75 on December 27, 28 & 29. Send your littles my way so you can clean the post Christmas messes (or just watch some Netflix in peace). Sign up on the Eventbrite page, or visit my website for all past and present camp details. 

As always, I'm sending many thanks for your support these past few months. -Mess

Mess Wright

I'm ridiculously happy and proud about last month's Maker Day Camps at The Grove. They were so much fun, that I'm planning four new days of similar activities: December 27-30. This will be a pay-by-the day program, so hopefully it can work into your post-Christmas, pre-New Year's Day plans. The details/tickets for sale are listed here.

If you can't make it, consider the January Camp, or simply check out some great pics (below) from the Thanksgiving week. Many thanks to the families who signed up for those days and for the upcoming December 19 Code Camp. It's sold out, and I can't wait for you to see the fun program I have planned. I'm grateful for all of you. ~Mess

15138378_1229836537062043_4257395302137684711_o 

So many girls this Fall!

15122901_1226230054089358_2039282656395327545_o 

15135877_1225719850807045_5017527500374811018_n 

Some of the projects from Thanksgiving included: flat/paper circuits, experimenting with voltage, sewing and making circuits in fabric with conductive thread, repairing old toys using soldering and replacement of broken parts, and robots driven by rotary motors.

Check out some videos from camp on our Instagram Account or Facebook Videos Page. The projects featured will still be an option for the December days, and we will have four brand new projects, too. It's perfectly okay to attend Maker Camp multiple times!

You can view all of the camp descriptions here.

HAPPY MAKING, EVERYBODY.