Mama Murray’s Meatloaf is a throwback to my childhood. I smothered this classic lunch/dinner recipe in ketchup and devoured it. I’ve made a few changes to Mama’s version to make it a bit healthier (turkey instead of beef, quick oats instead of white bread pieces). This can be a healthy lunch or dinner option and it serves six for less than 300 calories a serving! You can actually cut the calories even further by using skim milk and replace the egg with 1/4 cup of your favorite egg substitute.
Ingredients for Mama Murray’s Meatloaf
- 1 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (Wooster!)
- 1 tsp sage leaves (chopped fresh or dried)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 clove garlic (or 1/8 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 small onion (or 4 Tbsp onion powder)
- 1/2 cup organic Ketchup
Directions for Mama Murray’s Meatloaf
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix ingredients in a mixing bowl EXCEPT KETCHUP. Spread into a loaf pan. Good options for loaf pan sizes: 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 or 9 x 5 x 3. You might be able to get it to work with a 13 x 9 x 2, but I’ve never tried it.
- Now you can spread ketchup over the top. Thank you for your patience.
- Bake uncovered for one to 1 1/4 hours until internal temperature reads 160 degrees.
- Let sit for five minutes, then remove from pan.
- Lean beef instead of turkey
- Skim milk over 1 or 2%
- Egg substitute for an egg – Ideas: 1/4 cup applesauce, 2 Tbsp Arrowroot flour + 3 Tbsp of water, 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- Regular ketchup for organic
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 to 1 1/4 hours
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition (without rice or noodlest):
Calories 285 kcal
Protein 35 g
Fat 14 g
Carb 18 g
Fiber 2 g
Sugar 8 g
The post Mama Murray’s Meatloaf appeared first on Kids Activities Blog.