Turmeric Split Peas and Vegetables is a high-carb lunch that works well as a side or as a main dish. It also packs 22g of protein per serving, making it a perfect healthy lunch for someone on the go. Cooking the spices and chilies in vegetable oil develops the flavors more fully in this savory dish.
Ingredients for Turmeric Split Peas and Vegetables
- 2 tsps vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground tumeric
- 2 jalapeno chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups caulifowerets
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups pre-cooked yellow split peas
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 can (~15 oz) black beans, drained
Directions for Turmeric Split Peas and Vegetables
- Heat vegetable oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add cumin, turmeric, and chilies in oil and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cauliflowerets and chicken broth. Cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until cauliflowerets are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook about five minutes, stirring mixture until hot.
-Instructions for cooking yellow split peas will be on the bag. Typically, half a bag (1 pound) will require either soaking peas in 3 to 4 cups of water overnight, or boil same amount for two minutes and set aside for an hour.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (roughly two cups of mixture)
Calories 376 kcal
Protein 22 g
Fat 10 g
Carb 53 g
Fiber 20 g
Sugar 8 g
The post Turmeric Split Peas and Vegetables appeared first on Kids Activities Blog.