This cake will be the “talk of the party.” You’ll be using easy cake mixes, so don’t let the length of this recipe intimidate you.
Holly Clegg, Author of the trim&TERRIFIC™ cookbook series and KIDS COOKING for Mommies
YELLOW CAKE LAYER
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
3 egg whites
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/3 cups water
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons skim milk
1 9-inch) round Brownie Layer (recipe follows)
1 envelope whipped topping mix
1/2 cup cold milk
1 teaspoon yellow food coloring
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
4 kiwis, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
1. Prepare Yellow Cake Layer: Preheat oven 350°F. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, egg whites, egg, oil and water until well mixed. Pour batter into prepared pans. (You’ll need only one yellow layer for this recipe-save remaining batter for another use like cup cakes).
3. Bake 25-30 minutes or until the top springs back when touched. Cool layers in pan on wire rack 10 minutes, then turn onto wire racks to cool.
4. To assemble, when cake has cooled, split layer in half into two 9-inch rounds with long, serrated knife. Place bottom half on serving plate.
5. In small bowl, mix together confectioners’ sugar and enough milk to form spreading consistency. Spread half of mixture on top of yellow cake layer. Top with cooled Brownie Layer.
6. In mixing bowl, beat together whipped topping mix, cold milk, yellow food coloring until topping is very thick, forms peak. Spread remaining half of confectioners’ sugar mixture on top of brownie layer to help the next layer of fruit stay in place.
7. Cover with sliced strawberries and kiwis. Top with whipped topping mixture, making sure that fruit is showing on all sides. Carefully place remaining half of yellow cake layer on top of fruit and whipped topping. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and refrigerate until ready to serve.
1 (18.25-ounce) package brownie mix
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup water
1. Brownie Layer: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat together brownie mix, oil, water, and eggs until well mixed. Pour batter into prepared pan, bake 25-30 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely before using.
Makes 20 servings
Calories 331, Protein (g) 4, Carbohydrate (g) 53, Fat (g) 12, Calories from fat (%) 32, Saturated Fat (g) 3, Dietary Fiber (g) 1, Cholesterol (mg) 37, Sodium (mg) 361, Diabetic Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 2.fat