News

Mess Wright

Hey All,

Summer is fast approaching and it's time to sign up the kiddos for summer camps. The Lab at Lakewood proudly presents its 2012 Summer Camp offering for the first time this Saturday, February 25th at the Dallas Child Summer Camp Fair at The Hockaday School. Project Summer Fun is free and allows you the opportunity to meet face-to-face with myself and other camps and programs in DFW and surrouning areas.

The Dallas Child Summer Camp Fair is from 10:00AM to 3:00PM.

11600 Welch Rd.
                 Dallas, Texas 75229

The endless cries of "Mom, I'm bored!" are at the bottom of your list of things you want to hear this summer. This is your chance to learn about camps, programs, sports and getaways for your kids and help them plan a FUN-filled summer. Families can meet with other city slicker parents to discuss, share and ask advice of other parents on all things summer. 

Admission is free. Families can RSVP by clicking here.

Looking forward to the summer! If you have any questions please feel free to give me a call!

Melissa "Mess" Wright

The Lab at Lakewood
5304 Junius Street
Dallas, TX 75214

info@thelabdallas.com

http://www.thelabdallas.com/

Mess Wright

Science is exact, precise and methodical. Teaching, on the other hand, is messy and sometimes completely unpredictable – and that’s exactly how Melissa Wright likes it. Wright is the owner and lead mad scientist of The Lab at Lakewood, where children are invited and encouraged to think outside the box when it comes to learning science.

“I’m not a teacher and I don’t desire to be,” said Wright, whose nametag on her lab coat reads “Mess” instead of Melissa. “I’m not a drill sergeant and someone that wants to get them in a seat and have them follow a very specific course of action. What I want to give them is a safe place to just explore in their way, and I think that hones critical thinking skills.”

The Lab is the result of Wright’s desire to create a venue for kids that is a middle ground between the brainless fun of an arcade and the boring, strict confines of a museum. The Lab provides students with an enriching experience that promotes critical thinking to give students the freedom to learn at their own pace and also emphasizes having fun.

Nearly every major branch of science is explored at The Lab – biology, chemistry, physics, archeology and paleontology. The biggest attraction and fan favorite at The Lab would be the slime bar, where kids learn how to make the best slime in town. Even adults, who are usually hesitant to get involved in kid activities, get excited for the slime bar.

The Lab also plays host to a variety of creatures. Children love to play with Einstein the ferret and gawk at the tarantula and scorpion. The Lab also has live feeding demonstrations with its ball python, Da Vinci, for students who wish to watch.

Wright’s dream of creating a venue for kids that was both fun and intellectually stimulating would have been a short-lived one if no other parents supported her idea. Fortunately, she said, The Lab has caught on like a wildfire and Wright has an average of six to seven birthdays lined up every weekend.

The Lab also hosts a variety of programs that usually coincide with the longer school holidays such as summer, winter and spring breaks. The programs typically reflect the season or holiday – for instance, The Lab is hosting “Columbus Day Explorer Camp” in October and “Cold Weather Chemistry” during the month of December.

The unique approach that The Lab has to teaching and learning has drawn the attention and praise of another sect of students. Children with autism are thriving at The Lab and the word has been spreading to parents of autistic children from all over the Dallas area. Wright is the first to admit she is no teacher or scientist, but her methods of interacting with autistic children seem to be working.

Wright knows how to create a fun and friendly environment for people with disabilities, thanks to her time spent with retirement communities prior to starting up The Lab. Wright was a program director, and she spent a lot of her time with aged people who were impaired.

In fact, Wright even thinks of herself as just a big kid. It isn’t unusual for her to come to work in a dress one day and then in her pajamas the next. She sometimes wears skates instead of shoes and occasionally forgoes footwear all together.

The Lab at Lakewood isn’t successful because of a perfect formula. It’s because The Lab is willing to teach in different ways that students enjoy their visits so much. There are only three rules that Wright enforces: be safe, play nice and be safe. Otherwise, students are free to do as Wright has done and “Get Their Geek On”. It’s the perfect environment for students to experiment and figure out what learning method works best for them.

“All of these kids that are being called special needs… sometimes it’s just their brain works a different way,” she said. “We’re a friendly place for them to do that – to think differently and think openly and think critically.”

The Lab wasn’t always located in Lakewood. The Lab originated in Lake Highlands before Wright packed up for Junius Street. And after completing her first full year in Lakewood, she has big plans for 2012. According to Wright, she is hoping to expand to a second location before the year is up. If the hundreds of satisfied parents and happy children are any indication, The Lab will thrive wherever it goes.

“Seeing their [the kids] faces light up and seeing that look in their eye as they say, ‘Hey, I discovered that on my own,’” said Canaan Sutton, an assistant at The Lab. “You can show a kid anything that you want from here and you can try and teach them and drill it into their heads but really just seeing them discover it on their own – that’s my favorite experience I’ve had here so far.”

Many of the students that regularly attend The Lab woul likely agree with him.

The Lab at Lakewood
5304 Junius Street
Dallas, TX 75214

info@thelabdallas.com

http://www.thelabdallas.com/