News

Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest
Dr. Ed Downes (upper left), Alcuin Upper School, was named a Tech Titans finalist in the educator’s category among North Texas area high school math and science teachers. He was recognized his contributions in the development and implementation of innovative teaching techniques that inspire interest among his students at Alcuin.

Tech Titans, the largest technology trade organization in Texas, has named Alcuin School math teacher Edward Downes, PhD, a finalist in the Tech Titans of the Future High School Level category as part of the 17th Annual Tech Titans Awards.

The Tech Titans Awards recognizes the elite in North Texas technology – individuals currently transforming the high-tech industry and giving companies that competitive edge, as well as companies and educators leading the way in innovation and technical applications. The Tech Titans Awards showcases the innovators, adopters and executors impacting the technology industry for the greater good.

Downes was named a finalist in the educator’s category among North Texas area high school math and science teachers for his contributions in the development and implementation of innovative teaching techniques that inspire interest among his students at Alcuin.  The    nomination makes Downes the only finalist representing an independent school.

Thanks to Downes’ incorporation of technology and novel approaches to teaching, Alcuin students in grades 9-12 have been encouraged to further their educational and future career pursuits in science, technology, engineering or math.

Downes used several technological tools incorporating computer science, 3-D printed models and engaging lessons on multi-dimensional vectors, among a variety of others.  In mathematics education at Alcuin, content-specific technologies may include computer algebra systems, dynamic geometry environments, handheld computation, data collection and analysis through spreadsheets, and many more. 

These technologies support Alcuin students in exploring and identifying math concepts and relationships. Downes’ strategic use of technological tools supports both the learning of math procedures and skills, as well as the development of advance math proficiencies such as problem solving, reasoning and justifying.

“Dr. Downes is hands down one of the best math teachers I've ever had,” said Arath Luna, Alcuin School senior. “Math might not be the most exciting subject to most, but he finds ways to make the class fun and engaging. Being in Dr. Downes' classes has reminded me how much I enjoyed math and technology. He has inspired me to reconsider what I want to do with my future.  I am very grateful to him.”

The winners for each category will be announced at the Tech Titans Awards Gala on Friday, Aug. 25 in front of 800 of the top North Texas technology influencers. The gala will take place at the Renaissance Dallas at Plano Legacy West Hotel in Plano, Texas, and will start with a reception at 5:30 p.m. leading up to the award ceremony from 7 to 10 p.m.

“We are delighted to have Dr. Downes represent Alcuin as a finalist in the Tech Titans Awards,” said Walter Sorensen, Alcuin Head of School.

“The Alcuin School community is honored to have a member of our faculty recognized for the impact they make not only in the classroom, but also on the young minds that will shape the future of the North Texas technology industry,” Sorensen added.  “Dr. Downes’ dedication to our students, combined with his commitment to integrating technology in the math classroom, will continue to cultivate Alcuin’s passionate learners and innovative thinkers.  Awesome teachers like Dr. Downes is what makes Alcuin unique to all and second to none.”  

For more information on the event or to purchase tickets, visit www.techtitans.org.

About Alcuin School

A vibrant, nurturing, coeducational academic community serving students from toddler to 12th grade, Alcuin School uses the Montessori and International Baccalaureate program methods to foster critical thinking and a lifelong passion for learning. With faculty support, students at Alcuin School are eager to embrace change, question the status quo, and prepare for their future as leaders in a global society. For more information, please visit www.alcuinschool.org.